Fire Protection in Tunnels
Fire insulation is required in tunnels both to protect life and prevent collapse of the tunnel structure. Our FireMaster® FireBarrier™ 135 protects tunnels against the most severe fire conditions.
A fire in a tunnel can have catastrophic consequences. Apart from the risk to life, collapse of tunnels in a fire can have further consequences such as flooding (if the tunnel is under-water) or temporary loss of transport infrastructure.
FireMaster® FireBarrier™ 135 is a spray-applied cementitious fire barrier applied directly onto the tunnel concrete structure to insulate it sufficiently to prevent both spalling and over-heating of the reinforcement bars. A 36mm thick lining of FireBarrier™ 135 can provide sufficient protection to both the concrete and steel reinforcement for 2 hours 1350°C fire exposure.
Key Features of FireBarrier™ 135 tunnel fire protection systems
- Fire tested to RWS and HCM standard hydrocarbon protection for 2 hours
- Fire testing carried out on large size, stressed slabs to RWS fire standard
- Fire tested to ISO 834 standard fire protection for 4 hours
- High quality, flat, surface finish with excellent appearance
- Very low rebound wastage during spray installation
- Single layer sprayed application
- High adhesive strength
- Stable material
- In-service longevity properties are supported by independent testing
- Castable version also available where spray-application is not viable
The tunnel structure is not the only part of a tunnel that requires fire protection. FireBarrier™ 135 also provides fire protection for:
- The main tunnel structure of bored or immersed tunnels
- Escape passages
- Ventilation systems
- Critical services such as fire mains or cables
For more information on using our Firebarrier 135 for your tunnel application, contact us today.